Are Christmas Trees Harmful To Dogs?
It’s the holly jolly Holiday season, and if you’re someone with a pet at home you may be wondering what the deal is with Christmas trees and pets. Are they good? Are they bad? Are they...toxic?
Are Christmas trees toxic to dogs?
Dog owners should know that while Christmas trees are a festive way to celebrate the season, they are considered to be “mildly toxic” to dogs. (For the record, mistletoe and holly are also no-nos for dogs.)
Don’t let your dog get into the tree needles.
If you happen to have a real Christmas tree in your house, make sure you keep your dog from chewing on or swallowing Christmas tree needles. Depending on the size of your dog and how many they get into, tree needles can be toxic. Plus, they are not digestible. Especially sharp needles, if ingested, can puncture a dog’s intestinal lining. Fir tree oils can also cause vomiting and drooling in dogs.
We highly recommend you get an artificial tree so you and your pups can enjoy the festive experience.
You’ll also want to make sure your dog isn’t gnawing electrical cords or the strings of Christmas lights. Routinely check for chew marks on your power strips and the ends of Christmas tree lights to make sure your dog isn’t getting into this naughty behavior while you’re not looking. Chewing on Christmas lights can lead to electric shock and also mouth burns for your pet.
The other aspect of bringing a real Christmas tree into your house is your supply of Christmas tree water at the base of your tree. If your tree was not grown organically, chances are it could have been sprayed with pesticides, preservatives, fertilizers, or other agents. These chemicals can get into the water, and you don’t want your dog drinking that. Surprisingly, Christmas tree “water enhancers” like aspirin, soda, bleach, or corn syrup are commonly added to tree water to keep trees from shedding needles, and if you add any of these to your Christmas tree water, you don’t want your dog drinking that either. A covered tree water dish or a tree skirt that conceals the water may be a smart idea.
Keep your pet’s personal water bowl fresh and full to discourage them from drinking from underneath your Christmas tree.
Are artificial Christmas trees any safer for dogs?