SHOP HOTDEAL AND GET 30% OFF. Use 'HOTDEAL' at checkout.

Are Grapes Safe For Dogs?

Are Grapes Safe For Dogs?

Grapes are very toxic to dogs, including red grapes, green grapes, and grape-based foods. If your dog eats even a single grape, you should call your vet!

Grapes, raisins, currants, and other grape-related foods and drinks such as grape juice are toxic to dogs. While these foods are completely harmless to humans, they can cause kidney failure in dogs, as well as abdominal pain, lethargy, and other symptoms. Even a small amount of grapes can cause serious medical issues in dogs.




Truth is experts, don’t know a whole lot when it comes to why grapes are bad for dogs. All experts know for certain is that grapes are bad for dogs, and even a small amount of grapes can lead to kidney failure in dogs.


In recent years, some research has suggested that tartaric acid might be the big problem with dogs consuming grapes. When a dog gets sick from consuming grapes or grape-related foods, it’s known as grape or raisin toxicosis (GRT). After ingesting grapes, most dogs will experience AKI (acute kidney injury). While the symptoms of grape poisoning in dogs can vary in severity, it only takes a small number of grapes to cause AKI in dogs.


Signs Of Raisin & Grape Poisoning

It’s important to recognize the signs of grape and raisin toxicosis, that way you can take your dog to the vet if they’re experiencing medical issues.


Here are some of the most common symptoms of GRT in dogs:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Anorexia
  • Abdominal pain
  • Weakness
  • Dehydration
  • Polydipsia
  • Tremors (shivering)


Keep in mind that your dog may not experience all of these symptoms. If your dog has several symptoms from the list above or you think they may have ingested a grape-based food, you should take them to the vet right away.




The first thing you should do if your dog eats a grape is call your vet. Your vet may recommend that you induce vomiting, which can help get rid of the toxins in your dog’s stomach. In most cases, your vet will simply recommend getting to an animal hospital or vet as soon as possible to get your dog the treatment they need. Treatment for grape and raisin toxicosis may include GI tract decontamination, IV fluid diuresis, and close monitoring of renal function to make sure the kidneys aren’t failing too.




A dog’s ability to recover from grape poisoning is largely dependent on the number of grapes that the dog ate and how quickly they undergo treatment. While even a single grape can be toxic to dogs, the symptoms of grape poisoning are typically much milder if your dog has only eaten a grape or two. If your dog ate a whole loaf of raisin bread or got into an entire bunch of grapes, their prognosis may be worse.


Getting your dog to the vet is one of the best things you can do for them when they’re experiencing a medical issue of any nature. There’s only so much you can do to help your dog at home. Taking them to the vet allows you to get the toxins out of their system as soon as possible.

Grapes are very toxic to dogs. The problem with grapes is that even a single grape can be toxic to dogs, and grape and raisin toxicity leads to kidney failure in dogs. If your dog eats a grape, monitor their condition and call a vet right away.

Xo Miminko <3




Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published